Glufosinate-ammonium is a crop protection herbicide used by farmers globally in the control of weeds. Unlike Glyphosate, Glufosinate-ammonium only affects the parts of the plant that receives the application and does not rely on a root systemic mode of action.
As you might be aware, through press coverage and various social media campaigns there has been a lot of concern and commentary about the safe use of glyphosate herbicides, such as the well known Roundup brand.
Although glyphosate, a broad spectrum herbicide, has been registered for use in Australia for more than 40 years, there is growing concern and wariness around the use of glyphosate and people are more frequently seeking out effective alternatives.
For those seeking Roundup and Glyphosate alternatives, there are other options that are available and are effective.
Glufosinate is an effective glyphosate alternative
As a non-selective broad-spectrum herbicide, Glufosinate-ammonium is one of the most widely used weed control products in crops worldwide. Used since 1984, the product has proven itself as an effective glyphosate alternative, that meets strict health and environmental standards.
What is Glufosinate-ammonium?
Glufosinate-ammonium is used to control a varied range of weeds, including broadleaf weeds and grasses. Thanks to the unique action of Glufosinate-ammonium, it is ideal for use as part of a rotation strategy with other herbicides in order to reduce resistance.
How does Glufosinate-ammonium work?
Glufosinate-ammonium inhibits glutamine synthetase, the enzyme that plays a central role in nitrogen metabolism in plants. It is a purely contact herbicide, and only works on parts of the plant that has had contact with Glufosinate-ammonium. It is super effective, requiring growers only needing to use a few treatments each season without soil tillage.
Is Glufosinate-ammonium environmentally safe?
Glufosinate-ammonium rapidly breaks down in soil, with groundwater contamination highly unlikely as a result. Applying good agricultural practices helps ensure the safety of Glufosinate-ammonium use, with use according to the label not posing environmental or non-target plant risk.
What are the key benefits of using Glufosinate-ammonium?
Here are some key points to consider when considering Glufosinate-ammonium:
- It provides broad-spectrum weed control with a high level of crop safety.
- Application does not require soil tillage, reducing the costs associated with labour and fuel, while helping preserve water often resulting from soil tillage led soil erosion.
- Is very effective on over 80 species of broadleaf and grass weeds and has a high level of crop safety.
- Is considered an alternative herbicide to Glyphosate but does require 100% coverage to be effective.
- It is a non-volatile herbicide with non-selective activity against many annual and perennial broadleaf weeds and grasses.
- Is absorbed by plant foliage and green stems. It is not significantly translocated as an active herbicide throughout the plant, and therefore will only kill that part of a green plant that is contacted by the spray.
- Does not provide residual weed control.
After application, visible symptoms of control appear in 3 to 7 days, but complete desiccation may take 20 to 30 days under cool conditions. Best results are achieved when the application is made under good growing conditions.
Application to weeds under stress should be avoided as the efficacy of the product will vary. These conditions of stress often occur during continuous severe frosts, as well as dry or waterlogged conditions.
If you need to control weeds in grapevines, valuable horticulture crops or gardens, Glufosinate-Ammonium 200 is the right choice to clean up around the crop while giving it maximum protection.
More than most products, Glufosinate-Ammonium 200 really rewards careful application with exceptional performance, when it is applied with the right equipment at the right timing.
Buying Glufosinate-ammonium online
Here at Specialist Sales we stock Glufosinate-ammonium 200 in various sizes. Purchase form us online today, or contact us with any of your questions, we are always here to help.