Whittet Kikuyu is a deep rooted self repairing perennial grass. It forms a dense turf and spreads by stolons, which creep both above and below the soil surface. It is predominantly spring summer active with a very small amount of winter growth. It is used either as a stand alone turf option in turf blends with Tall fescue or Ryegrass. It is extremely hardy and can tolerate high levels of traffic.
Known for its hardiness and aggressive runners- Kikuyu is a popular choice for homeowners, sporting fields and larger areas like airports. The best time for sowing is late spring to late summer, as long as your temperature is within the optimum temperatures of 18-29°C, you can expect germination.
Whittet Kikuyu was first developed back in 1970 with the planting of the first crop.
Whittet was developed to spread more vigorously than common strains of Kikuyu that had been introduced to Australia from Africa in 1919.
Kikuyu grass is a low growing, warm season vigorous grass that spreads by stolons & rhizomes. Whittet, Improved Kikuyu grass (Pennisetum clandestinum) is a popular choice for Turf Managers throughout Australia when choosing a seeded variety.
Whittet has a medium texture, robust turf density & will establish & persist better on poor soils with low fertility.
What Is Agricote Enhanced Whittet Kikuyu Seed?
AgriCote is a tailored seed coating treatment applied to Whittet Kikuyu that conveniently combines all the AgriCote technologies into one high performing seed coat. Starting with the highest quality kikuyu seed available, an advanced binding and protective polymers with lime is added as the basis for this cutting-edge seed coating technology. The polymer formulation enables the seed to be coated evenly, which makes it easier to work with and promotes a more even seed distribution onto the. In addition, the lime helps to optimise the pH level immediately around the germinating seed, which promotes faster moisture uptake by the seed and better establishment.
AgriCote treatments include nutrients designed to be immediately available to the seedling, protection against fungal diseases through a fungicide treatment and insecticidal treatments to provide protection from biting and sucking insects. AgriCote is designed to enhance seedling establishment by delivering improved early seedling vigour and root development, through the inclusion of growth promoting and dormancy breaking technologies.
Uses of Kikuyu:
- Ideal for Low Maintenance Turf Areas.
- Excellent for erosion control on hillsides & banks.
- Grows well where other grasses won’t.
- Ideal Usage: Lawns, Sports Fields, Fairways, Airports, Pastures, Caravan Parks.
- Kikuyu is very strong self repairing grass, with excellent traffic tolerance and drought resistance.
Agricote Seed Coating Technology:
- Lime Coating – Creates a favourable germination environment
- NPKS & Trace Elements – provides immediate seedling nutrition
- Growth Promotant – promotes establishment and seed vigour
- Bonding Polymer – bonding AgriCOTE seed capsule
- Protective Polymer – protects and isolates bacteria
Seed Details: 100% Whittet Kikuyu Seed (not a blend)
Seed Count: Approx. 115,223 seeds per kilo
- 91% Germination (in 14 Days). 91.1% Purity. (Guide only – Germination Certificate available upon request)
- Seed Testing Certificate is available upon request.
- Germination Expectations: You will see fine kikuyu hairs within 10–21 days.
Shade Tolerance: Fine
Daily Sunlight Required: 6+ hours
Drought Tolerance: Excellent
Traffic Tolerance: Excellent
Pack Sizes: 1kg, 2kg, 3kg, 4kg, 5kg, 10kg, 15kg, 20kg & 25kg
Due to WA Dept. of Agriculture customs regulations, kikuyu seed will not be shipped to Western Australia