Whittet Kikuyu Seed (Bare Seed)
Whittet Kikuyu is a deep rooted self repairing perennial grass. It forms a dense turf and spreads by stolons, which creep both above and below the soil surface. It is predominantly spring summer active with a very small amount of winter growth. It is used either as a stand alone turf option in turf blends with Tall fescue or Ryegrass. It is extremely hardy and can tolerate high levels of traffic.
Known for its hardiness and aggressive runners- Kikuyu is a popular choice for homeowners, sporting fields and larger areas like airports. The best time for sowing is late spring to late summer, as long as your temperature is within the optimum temperatures of 18-29°C, you can expect germination.
Whittet Kikuyu was first developed back in 1970 with the planting of the first crop.
Whittet was developed to spread more vigorously than common strains of Kikuyu that had been introduced to Australia from Africa in 1919.
Kikuyu grass is a low growing, warm season vigorous grass that spreads by stolons & rhizomes. Whittet, Improved Kikuyu grass (Pennisetum clandestinum) is a popular choice for Turf Managers throughout Australia when choosing a seeded variety.
Whittet has a medium texture, robust turf density & will establish & persist better on poor soils with low fertility.
- Ideal for Low Maintenance Turf Areas.
- Excellent for erosion control on hillsides & banks.
- Grows well where other grasses won’t.
- Ideal Usage: Lawns, Sports Fields, Fairways, Airports, Pastures, Caravan Parks.
- Kikuyu is very strong self repairing grass, with excellent traffic tolerance and drought resistance.
Seed Details: 100% Whittet Kikuyu Seed (not a blend)
- 91% Germination (in 14 Days). 91.1% Purity.
- Seed Testing Certificate is available upon request.
- Germination Expectations: You will see fine kikuyu hairs within 10–21 days.
Shade Tolerance: Fine
Daily Sunlight Required: 6+ hours
Drought Tolerance: Excellent
Traffic Tolerance: Excellent
Seeds per Kilogram: 339,000 approx.
Pack Sizes: 1kg, 2kg, 3kg, 4kg, 5kg, 10kg, 15kg & 20kg
Due to customs regulations, kikuyu seed will not be shipped to Western Australia